Sunday, January 14, 2007

More of the same

Well I am back from work. Out of the 4 Sunday meals on the menu. the one we had today I like the best because it is the easiest to do. Roast Turkey ,Ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole and carrots. FYI Wyo Sis et all I cook as much as possible ahead, which means that between 11:00 and 4:30 I have to cook 2 complete Dinners (They always get 2 choices of entrees and fixings,per meal). Last Tues was a nightmare because the two entrees were breaded pork chops and chicken royale, both of which require grilling. Plus the chicken requires a sauce which is a cream sauce with mushrooms and green onions. Also mashed potatoes and gravy, rice pilaf, stuffing and veggies. We also have to worry about cooking a hot food bar that consists of some kind of starch, usually a pasta and sauce choice, a rice choice and or a potato choice, 2 veggie choices and a protein choice (usually a meat choice, a lot of times we can use leftovers from lunch or the day before but we don't always have any). Most of the time we don't have 2 choices that require grilling which makes the dinner easier to prepare. However the fact that there are no students signed up as kitchen help for dinner shift on the TTHS shift at all it puts just a bit of pressure on
me to get it out on time. If the breakfast, lunch cooks ( notice the s in cookS plural, not singular) help me out some by cooking as many of the things that they can for me ahead a time it helps. Sometimes they have takeout to do so they can't help as much, but sometimes I have takeout to do also. Last Tues they had no takeout to do and an easy menu but they didn't cook one thing ahead for me, not even a pot of boiling water to make the potatoes with (they are instant ones). I made it, but I ended up using a receiver to grill the chicken and "pan up" the potatoes and gravy. receivers are the people who work on the dock "receiving" orders etc. taking the takeout food to the takeout building, fetching and carrying etc. Anyway I hope we get some help soon. I guess the young people of today do not want to work at hard phtsical lobor and for less money than a test monitor who gets more money and can pretty much sit down and get paid to do homework while "working". I can't say I blame them.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I wonder what to cook on TWTH and sunday afternoon. But I'm sure it's different when it's you job.

Anonymous said...

I can't say I blame them either. You basically prepare two thanksgiving dinners for (I don't know how many people) every day. I hate to cook enough that your job sounds like a living hell to me. I hope you enjoy it, I'll bet you don't enjoy watching Top Chef. I do because I love to see what they come up with, that I will never have to cook.

SageHen said...

I can watch people cook all day.
I can watch people decorate homes all day.
It all looks grand, until I venture into the kitchen or open that first gallon of paint.

SageHen said...

You've been tagged, sorry.