Sunday, February 10, 2008

I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE

I have been thinking about the subject of gossip lately. Just exactly what is gossip anyway? I have an acquaintance at work that is running off of the mouth constantly. She says so and so did this, and such and such did that. She says things, that are not necessarily mean or hurtful but are none of anybody else's business. I have said things to her that were only about myself and my troubles and soon I hear, that other people have been discussing my troubles with others. She tells me herself what they said about the problem, even though I was just saying how I felt about something that I was having trouble with. It kind of bothered me, it was not a big deal and didn't come to anything but it got me to thinking. There is someone else at work that also runs off of the mouth, and is always talking about someone or another. She has disrespectful nicknames for her fellow co-workers and even management and uses them often. I have always had a hard time in social situations because of my loathing of people who run on and on about people, and they problems. These seem to be the kind of people that have a good time and enjoy others. Why is it that I do not like or trust them at all. The first afore mentioned coworker said when I objected to what she leaked out of her mouth to someone else who quickly discussed it with another person, that it wasn't gossip she was "just talking". Well I wonder what gossip is. because "just talking" in my book is for the most part gossiping. How does one carry on conversations and not say either untrue or private things about others weather they are true or not. Most of the things I hear comings out of those two peoples mouthes are what I would classify as gossip. She says that she likes to keep informed about what is going on in the neighborhood, that a good citizen needs to be informed. How does one carry on conversations without offending? I guess that is why I more often than not keep quiet and think to myself the things I do . Any answers or suggestions?

6 comments:

Pi-day Dave said...

that's a tough one, just make sure that you say nothing to these ladies that you don't want anyone else to know about.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to have a social conscience when everyone else is gossiping. I guess you could talk about Project Runway. That way you talk about people, but it's OK because they are on TV and asked for it. By the way can you believe Sweet Pea is still there? I can't believe they let the straight guy go and kept her.

Alf's boy said...

Yes, watch what you say to these sorts of people. Superficial and generic conversations to people who are that themselves. Wait!... aren't we gossiping about these people now?... NAH!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, those who gossip about others will talk about you behind your backs. They are not "talking" they are being "nosey". They don't have anything better to do with their lives. Chances are it makes them feel better about themselves because they have inferiority issues. It is easier to talk about other people's problems than it is to face up to their own realities. There is a very good reason why the leaders of the church counsels us to avoid gossip, it does more harm than good. My suggestion? Why does anybody care about other people's problems, I have enough of my own to worry about! When you need to air out your grievances, send me an email, I will gladly listen to your beefing and I promise it will be just between you and me.

Anonymous said...

One more thing: just calmly and politely change the subject. If that doesn't work, just look at them right in the eye and say firmly, "Please, can we show some compassion?"

Alf's boy said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY SISTER!!!!