Saturday, November 03, 2007

CHECK THIS OUT

I haven't done much of interest this week. The week was pretty routine and boring. Halloween DH and I went and got flu shots, went to the post office to mail some bills, then we went to McDonald's for 2 Oreo McFlurries and 2 med Fries for a treat. The treat cost $8.13. We could have gotten 2 quarter pounder with cheese meals for just a few dollars more. Fri when I came to work. Samoa Lady and Former MTC Head cook were at at it again ragging about how Bob was cutting the pineapple. Me and FF had showed him how to cut it like we had always done it, and she was having a fit about it. We wasted too much "meat" cutting it the way we showed him. Her way is much better, and is muuuuuuuch slower and (thus better in her eyes because then all she has to do is cut fruit all day thus avoiding all the other work). Those two women from the MTC and everyone else who works there work until there job is done, and then they sit the rest of the day. They make sure too stretch out what they are doing as long as possible so that is not enough time to do anything else that day. This has been going on for years at that place. Some of the people from Morris and Cannon were transferred over there last Nov. Thank heavens I wasn't, but unfortunately some came to the Morris center with me and FF. Our old manager at Cannon center went there (MTC) April 2006 to straighten up the people over there and make them work. So far they have really dug in their heels and are making life miserable for her (and themselves). I pointed out to her that food is cheaper than time, but by then she and Former MTC lady had dug in there heels. We now have the former MTC chef, who is afflicted with the same syndrome that they have. He was telling us it had to be cut that way. Two or three weeks ago we were given the instructions from manager and chef that it didn't matter how we cut the fruit (except the faster way was better) and that all that mattered was that the food items contain all of the ingredients in the right amount of weights and were in the right containers. Now they are send a mixed message again. Itis very annoying. We are expected to have an open mind, but only 2 of us are. The We were also told there was no supervisor because all of us are of the same pay and power rank, but Former took it upon herself to appoint Samoa as the supervisor even though has no responsibility in the kitchen at all. Bob is a mentally disabled man. He is about my age and holds down 2 jobs in order to support his wife and 5 children. He is limited in his abilities and can only handle certain tasks. He can cut the pineapple the way we showed him, but cannot do it her way because or the way they handle the knife. She was going on and on about it and at one point asked him if he wasn't ashamed leave so much fruit on the rind. Trying to shame him for wasting so much, She said I and he should treat it like we would in our own homes and not waste so much. Well guess what, I would cut it the same way in my home, if I ever used pineapple. which I can't stand.Well I managed to keep my cool but I fumed all morning and then I ached from head to toe all afternoon. I still ache, like a train ran over me! Former had a sore knee so she spent all dad in the kitchen sitting on a stake of milk crates because her knee hurt. I stood all day and always do and both knees ache, my hip hurts, ankles and feet feel like my legs are slowly falling onto them, sort of like the bent feet of a paper doll, my neck is sometimes in a cramp and wont even turn, my head hurts and my stomach either growls with hunger or cramps with IBS. But I get my work done and half of the time do work in other areas that need help. I never could understand how lazy slackers get away with it and people like me slog along, with nary an acknowledgment of their work. I just don't get it. Today I had some hamburger that I needed to cook, But not much else to work with. I was thinking of a Taco Salad or Nacho thingy. I decided to try making it with what I had. It turned out really good so I thought I might share it for anyone who might like it
IMPROV NACHOS
1 Pkg of Taco seasoning
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of diced tomatoes with sweet onions
1 pkg of Tortilla chips
Frozen corn (super sweet)
Shredded cabbage (coleslaw) or shredded lettuce
Shredded Colby/Jack cheese
Onion sour cream dip or sour cream

1. Brown ground beef
2. add Taco seasoning and follow directions on package
but instead of adding water add the tomatoes and frozen corn.
3. Simmer 5-10 min, may need to add a little water.
4. Place tortilla chips on individual salad bowls or plates.
5. Top with, in order mentioned, Ground beef, cheese, cabbage,
and onion dip. Enjoy


OV NACHOS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I;ve never understood the concept of making work go slowly so you don't have to do as much. I think time goes faster a work if you stay busy, not fake busy. At home my philosophy is a bit different I think if it can't be done fast, don't do it at all, instead take a nap. In either case I wan't to do it quickly and get on with something else. I'm easily bored I guess. This insight into the world of institutional cooking is a real eye-opener. It makes me a little less inclined to want to eat in a cafeteria. Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon. It is terrible to hurt all over while you are trying to work. The back-biting is probably the reason for the headaches, but sore bones and muscles are no fun either. I'm finding the Crocs aren't as effective this year as they were last year at keeping the sore feet at bay. I'm about ready to try that Foot Store thing they advertise on TV.

Alf's boy said...

The nachos sound yummy we will have to try and make them soon. I always felt that bosses would see how hard you worked and reward you according but then I went to work where I am now. I've always lived by the saying "The harder you try to kill time the slower it dies." Amazing how pineapple would cause such distress.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the pineapple theory. I was visitng Lorin's brother and his wife for a barbeque one day, and my SIL told her husband to make sure you cut the cantaloupe correctly. Pray tell, what is the correct way to cut a cantaloupe? Who cares! It all tastes the same no matter how it is cut. I am sorry you hurt so much. I agree with Wyo sis. and lil bro. work can be a pain sometimes. These are the reasons why I don't work for JoAnn's fabrics anymore.