Sunday, December 09, 2007

CHRISTMAS RUSH ET EL

Boy oh boy, are we busy at work. I am so happy that I only have to work in salads, and not hot foods. We have been getting huge orders for ham dinners with funeral potatoes and veggies, turkey dinners with dressing etc, chicken dinners with potatoes and gravy and veggies, chicken cordon bleu with rice , and massive amounts of baked potatoes like 13 50# cases of baked potatoes in 1 day. Thank heavens I and the other salad area people only have to do things like 9 Mexican pizzas (7 layer bean dip) put on large 16"round plastic trays. 20 fruit trays or more, same amount of veggie trays, relish trays, fruit kabobs, acini de pepe salads, deli pasta salads, various dips such as shrimp,crab, or onion dips and th most tedious of them all ham or turkey salad filled cream puffs. We don't make the puffs, we just have to cut them all in half and fill each one with ham or turkey salad. These take forever. Next Thurs we have an order for 84doz of the beasties and that is half of the size of the original order. This is for one order only and we had four pages of other orders for that same day when I left work Fri. They can add on to those orders until Wed evening. HELP! Also this last week I have had the annual car inspection, registration, thing to deal with. Last week I took said car in to get the emissions and safety checks done. Well just as I left to go to the car check place, snow decided to come down in buckets full so I waited in the waiting room with several "Field and Stream" or Race car magazines to read whilst I waited for the car to be examined. Now I don't know about you, but those magazines are not exactly my cup of tea. I had brought with me a circle it puzzle mag to entertain myself. I waited for at least an hour, only to find that I failed the safety test because my brake lights and turn signal lights were not working. now I know that cars in Utah do not come with turn signals, but mine did and I used them all of the time. I had to get them fixed, which I did on Tues. Then I went to the inspector place to have a new certificate made up stating that the car had been repaired and was now acceptable. I waited an hour during my so called lunch hour) to get the new certificate. The computer server crashed and they couldn't get my new certificate printed. There went my "lunch" hour. Yesterday I finally got back to afore mentioned inspection station to get everything squared away. That is the exact time that it decided to snow. It was a record of 2.5 inches of snow in one hour. The exact hour that brilliant me decided to take the car in. I had planned on going grocery shopping after car was a squared away. It didn't happen, instead I drove home. About 5 min after I got home the snow stopped! I haven't gone grocery shopping in over two weeks so it looks like I will have to go Mon evening after work! I did do 4 batches of laundry Sat besides, unfortunately I did not get the floor swept or mopped. Last Sun the young men brought the sacrament to Ray and the Elder that brought it said "Oh it looks like you have been cleaning". I said " no I need to do some cleaning." I think it looked like I had cleaned because DH had put the dishes in the dishwasher( this is an all day job for him) so that is why the house maybe looked a little better than usual. I was a bit embarrassed, but also a little amused at the poor man (he looks 18, but is a least a returned missionary and one of the many college students couples in the ward) not very tactful. Oh well I do the best I can and I have not poisoned anybody yet. This week will probably be equally exciting.

3 comments:

Alf's boy said...

Hey, he tried to give a compliment at least.

Anonymous said...

What's the chances of snow coming down when you least want it to? My idea of winter living is to hibernate like the bears do, shut down everything, stay in the house and sew, bake, read and never leave the house until spring. Sigh. . . . .At least you don't have to do yard work!

Anonymous said...

My idea of hell is filling 84 dozen cream puffs with crab or chicken salad. The other degrees of hell are also recorded in your blog. Going to the garage for any car thing ranks with having your gums scraped. Do you get any overtime pay? Do you get some days off? Do you grind your teeth at night? How do the people in Utah know when a turn signal is broken anyway? The only thing you are missing for a perfect storm of misery is having remodeling done on your house as well.