Friday, October 05, 2007

YOU KNOW IT IS BAD KARMA WHEN..........

You get to work and find that you have your pants on backwards. That was the first sign that yesterday was not going to be a good day. We had a huge Fridays orders were three pages long, That meant that we needed to start them Thurs in order to get every thing finished by Fri. Well I started making Acini de Pepe salad (Frog Eye Salad). We needed to make 13 5# salads. That equals 65# of salad. I cooked the acini de pepe (pasta), made the sauce and prepared the rest of the ingredients. I put the sauce into the locker to cool and went to lunch. When I came back I made a shrimp dip. I needed 4 pints, the recipe was for 1 pint so I 4x the recipe, panned it up and it only made 3 pints. Fiddlesticks!. I had to make another pint. By then the salad was ready to put together so as I was whipping the whipped topping (fake whipping cream) as I put all the ingredients together. All 3 &1/2 cans of mandarin oranges and 3&1/2 cans of pineapple tidbits, the pasta, 4# of mini marshmallows, and the sauce. "Hey that sauce looks funny, how come there is all that sugar in the bottom of the pan,it should have dissolved". I tasted it. Yikes! It was SALT. That wouldn't be to bad if I hadn't mixed it in with the fruits,marshmallows, and pasta already. The whipped topping was still whipping. I was really p!$sed off with myself. I had to throw out all of the 65# of ingredients, except for the whipped topping. Just then the chef and manager came back from lunch, and when I told them what I had done, they weren't too upset, in fact the chef apologized for not telling me that he had moved the sugar bin to the pantry, and replaced it with rice. Anyway he helped me redo the the salad. I didn't get out until after 6:00P.M. When I checked out I discovered that I hadn't checked back in after lunch and had worked the whole afternoon for free. I really didn't work for free, but I had to write down a time clock correction in the black book. I was almost afraid to drive home for fear I might get in an accident on the way home. So always check to see if you have your pants on front in front. sigh!


3 comments:

Alf's boy said...

I was a half hour late for work this morning because the alarm clock kept going off and I couldn't understand why it went off so many times. I finely realized that it was 6:15 and not 5:15. I just hate it when people move stuff and don't tell you about it.

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain. I was at Osmond elementary one day for about half an hour before going to work at Afton Elemantary and one of the teachers asked me if it was backwards day at Afton. I had my shirt on inside out! Sadly, this was not the first time. I wash my shirts buttoned up to cut down on ironing the around the buttons, and I have pulled on a shirt inside out more than once. They have flat fell seams, so it isn't obvious, but you'd think I would learn after one embarrassing incident. AparentlyI have a steep learning curve. Sorry about your day. I can't think of anything worse than having to make 65 pounds of salad except having to do it twice.

Losing My Marbles said...

I laughed so hard when I read you had your pants on backwards! I went to church once with one black shoe and one blue shoe. It was an easy mistake since they were both the same style. I once attended one of my BYU classes wearing slippers! The fuzzy kind!