Tuesday, October 02, 2007

EYE,EYE,EYE AND THERE SHE BLOWS!

Last night I woke up around 10.P M. and my left eye was watering and stinging like mad, and I couldn't see hardly at all. It was like I had Vaseline over my eye. I immediately panicked, as per normal. The next morning (today), I called my eye doctor and came in to see him. As I suspected I had scratched my cornea. Don't ask how or when because I don't know the answer. I am now wearing a "patch" on my eye until tomorrow evening. I don't get the fun of looking like a pirate for two days, thank goodness, because the "patch" consists of a soft contact lens put in my eye until tomorrow evening. The Dr. put in an antibiotic eye drop, put in the contact lens, than another eye drop. It still hurts though.
I can relate to the meltdown problem myself. I have had several in the last several weeks. The best was about 2 weeks ago, when a smart a$s on call woman and her crony the head cook in the kitchen confiscated our recipe book from the Cannon center that Karen and I had copied for the take out salad recipes. We have both been in the salad area, and in charge of that area. The on call lady and the snoopervisor (her own word for herself) had come in at 4:30 one morning and cleaned our the salad area drawers. including the above named recipes which were in a binder and in plastic sheet covers. When we needed one of the recipes to make something the had been ordered, the binder was gone. I asked them outright if they had seen it, and course they denied it. I went in the back room, where they were cleaning, and took out every book and binder that they had so neatly put in boxes. I then went through all of the papers that they had neatly put in boxes. I didn't put them back neatly either. in fact they were all over the room! I finally found the recipes in THE TRASH CAN, STILL IN THEIR PLASTIC SHEET COVERS, BUT NOT IN THE BINDER, IT WAS EMPTY! Gotcha!! I got talked to, but they got caught in a lie and stealing besides. They can neither one (not even the head cook) tell us how to do our work. They didn't no how to do it anyway. Miss on call had been in salad area last year in the Morris center, but quit . She kept harping on how we did our veggie trays. We didn't soak the baby carrots in water, we didn't put all the broccoli and cauliflower in the tray with the buds up (no tails showing,like who notices!) all of the celery sticks were not the same size and some of the ends had a shredded looking cut. The cucumbers were not thick enough or too thin. THEY LOOKED LIKE CRAP. I couldn't take it anymore. Finally they got a clue and told Miss on call to stay out of the salad area, and the snoopervisor was told she could only work in hot foods. I however do not have to stay out of hot food (darn). Last Monday the chef took the day off and the snoopervisor also had the day off. So I got the job. All went well and all the food went out hot, done on time, and as the customer wanted. In fact the only food that has come back from the customer was some Alfredo sauce made by above named snoopervisor. She thought she would take a "short cut" and make the Alfredo sauce with a chicken gravy mix and yellow cheese. When the food came back the Chef, who helped her make it, said, "I don't know what that is, but it is not Alfredo sauce" For those of you who don't know what Alfredo sauce is, it is a white cheese sauce made with butter, flour, milk,sour cream, cream, swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese. No chicken and No yellow cheese. I stand vindicated!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad you got that off your chest! I can't read the first part, but I assume it was not complementary to on call woman and snoopervisor. Some days it just seems not to be a good idea to get out of bed. I do know what Alfredo sauce is, although not exactly what it's made of until now. I like it very much and would not be fooled by chicken gravy with yellow cheese melted into it. I am amazed that a person who is supposed to know what it is would try to get away with such an obvious fake. Does this happen often? Now I know why people don't like institutional food. I just assumed all of the food that came out of commercial kitchens was made from a standardized recipe. I guess it's always best not to know what goes on behind the scenes. I've probably eaten many mistakes and maybe some deliberates, but what I don't know doesn't gag me. (usually) I have to admit after watching reality cooking shows on TV I am less excited about eating the fancy "plated" food and decorated cakes. Those people have their hands all over that food! Ugh!

Alf's boy said...

No comprendo.

Pi-day Dave said...

You go girl. Way to catch them in the act of lying and theivery. I just copyied the entry and pasted it in word and changed the font and size and wa la it was readable.